Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum
Canada 150 Vignette –  053 of 150
British Commonwealth Air Training Plan
Boundary Bay - No. 5 OTU (Operation Training Unit) 
​​
Number 4 Training Command of the Royal Canadian Air Forces had a number of training units located in various locations in British Columbia including Vancouver, Boundary Bay, Comox and Abbotsford, all on the mainland, and Patricia Bay near Victoria on Vancouver Island across the Georgia Strait from mainland BC.

RCAF Station Boundary Bay is located 40 km. south of Vancouver. It was the location of a number of training and operational units and was open between April 1 1944 and October 21 1945 for 578 days. The first RCAF unit to locate there was No. 18 Elementary Flying Training School which was open from March 10 1941 to May 25 1942 for a total of 410 days. This school was originally located in Vancouver (RCAF Station Sea Island) as No. 8 EFTS before moving to Boundary Bay.  De Havilland Tiger Moth aircraft were used to train students. The school was sponsored by the Aero Club of BC and operated, with civilian instructors, as the Vancouver Air Training Co. Ltd. As a result of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, No. 18 EFTS personnel and equipment were transferred to No. 33 Royal Air Force ​​Station Caron





​The North American B-25 Mitchell Bomber
The Conslidated B-24 Liberator Bomber
Saskatchewan effective May 25 1942 to avoid the RCAF’s perception of a possible Japanese attack of Canada. In Caron, civilian staff took over instruction from RCAF personnel.

With this move, room became available to provide fighter protection to Vancouver. Three RCAF operational fighter squadrons were posted to Boundary Bay. No. 133 Squadron operated with Hawker Hurricane aircraft and Numbers 14 and 132 Squadrons operated with Curtiss Kittyhawks.

Training continued at Boundary Bay with the opening of No. 5 Operational Training Unit on April 1 1944.  The Operational Training Unit was the last installment of training for air crew who spent eight to 14 weeks learning to fly operational aircraft such as the Hawker Hurricane,  Fairey Swordfish or larger multi-engine aircraft. Instructors were generally posted to the OTU after completing one or more operational tours.

When it was decided that Liberator aircrews required more air gunners, a satellite to No. 5 OTU was established in Abbotsford BC. Training would start in Boundary Bay and crews would graduate after completing the supplemental training in Abbotsford.​​

No. 5 OTU wrapped up operations at Boundary Bay on October 31 1945. Boundary Bay operated as a demobilisation centre for the RCAF until the base was closed in 1946. After World War II, Boundary Bay provided a home for the Royal Canadian Corps of Signal operating radio equipment and gathering signals intelligence. In 1968, Boundary Bay’s name was changed to Canadian Forces Station Ladner, in compliance with new protocols called for with unification of Canada’s military forces. Transport Canada opened Boundary Bay Airport to ease air traffic needs at Vancouver International Airport.

Wikipedia - ``Canadian Forces Station Ladner - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_Station_Ladner

Photo credit
By Mike Freer - Touchdown-aviation - Gallery page http://www.airliners.net/photo/India---Air/Consolidated-B-24L-Liberator/1139882/LPhoto http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/8/8/1139882.jpg, GFDL 1.2, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27016282