No. 1 Naval Air Gunner School (NAGS) operated in Yarmouth Nova Scotia for 819 days between January 1 1943 and March 30 1945. No. 1 NAGS was located on what was known as the East Camp at Yarmouth. Two other RCAF
744 RAF Squadron). In January 1944, the Stinson Reliants were replaced by Curtiss Seamews (sea gulls) under the Lend Lease program. They were found to be unreliable as a trainer aircraft and were used only until September 1944.
In 1946 the RCAF station at Yarmouth was taken over by the Canadian Department of Transport which opened Yarmouth Airport. Of the 40 buildings at this station, only two hangars were retained on site for Yarmouth airport and another two were moved to Digby and Liverpool Nova Scotia to become hockey rinks.
Attached is a World War II air photo of RCAF Station Yarmouth and a photo of the Curtiss Sea Mew Aircraft.
Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum
Canada 150 Vignette - 007 of 150
British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Stations
No. 1 Naval Air Gunner School - Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
establishments were based at Yarmouth. The West Camp was home to a number of operating Royal Canadian Air Force Units including those involved with anti-submarine reconnaissance and warfare, and general reconnaissance. A third component was the airfield which obviously, served the other components in meeting flying requirements.
Prior to the inception of No. 1 NAGS, the East Camp was briefly home to the No. 34 Operational Training Unit which was moved to Pennfield Ridge New Brunswick where it was in operation for 718 days between June 1 1942 to May 19 1944. The East Camp consisted of 40 buildings constructed by a number of local crews totalling 150 to 200 labourers, carpenters and foremen.
At the request of the British Royal Navy, the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan opened No. 1 Naval Air Gunner School with the purpose of training Telegraphist Air Gunners (TAGS) for the Fleet Air Arm. The initial objective was to train 378 RAF aircrew with 36 weeks of ground instruction, 13 weeks of radio training, 14 weeks of gunnery training and four weeks of air gunnery training. Forty-two students were enrolled each month. By the end of the war, over 2,500 Telegraphist Air Gunners had been trained.
At No. 1 NAGS, the RCAF was responsible for administration including providing basic needs like motor transport and medical services. The Royal Navy provided the training while the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force personnel attached to the navy provided maintenance for the training wing. Squadron pilots were recruited from the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and Royal Canadian Air Force. Three primary aircraft were used including 45 Fairey Swordfish (from 745 RAF Squadron.), 15 Avro Ansons (from the BCATP) and 40 Stinson Reliants (from