We are unable to explain seven instead of five hangars in the war time air photo of No. 11 SFTS. The other photo shows an unfortunate trip for a hapless airmen training at Yorkton. The caption on the back of this photo in the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum archives states: ``Cessna Crane 8067, August 1942, from #11 S.F.T.S. Yorkton, Sk. Unknown student pilot on solo made belly landing near Rivers Manitoba. Aircraft caught fire in the air due to failure of rigged A1 Fuel line.’’ For those keeping score, Yorkton is 204 air kilometers from Rivers and a Cessna Crane cruising speed is 233 km/hour. We doubt he made it back to Yorkton for supper.
Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum
Canada 150 Vignette - 006 of 150
British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Stations
No. 11 Service Flying Training School - Yorkton, Saskatchewan
No. 23 SFTS officially opened on April 10 1941 remaining open until December 1 1944 for a total of 1,320 days. Utilizing North American Harvard, Avro Anson and Cessna Crane aircraft, the school graduated approximately 2,000 pilots.
For a brief 229 days from January 29 1945 to September 14 1945, Yorkton was also the home of No. 23 Elementary Flying School was moved from Davidson Saskatchewan when that base closed. In 1947, one of the buildings became a 50 bed auxiliary hospital for the City of Yorkton. In 1951, one of the hangars became home to the Yorkton location of Saskatchewan’s Western Development Museum. The museum moved to a new home near Yorkton in 1972. Since its BCATP closure No. the 11 SFTS And No. 23 EFTS site has hosted a number of various enterprises. It has been the Yorkton Airport for many years with only on hangar and no other buildings suriving today.
In 1940, the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, moved on to Yorkton Saskatchewan to build and open No. 11 Service Flying Training School. It was a major project costing in excess of $800.000 and requiring the services of construction companies from Winnipeg Manitoba and Saskatoon Saskatchewan. As set out by the BCATP, bare farmland a couple of miles north of Yorkton saw the addition of three runways, five aircraft hangars and 40 buildings including a large mess hall, surgical hospital and living quarters