No. 17 Elementary Flying Training School opened in Stanley Nova Scotia on March 17 1941 and is located 15 km. east of Windsor Nova Scotia. It was open as a BCATP School for 1033 days, closing on January 1 1944. The RCAF utilized Fleet Finch and De Havilland Tiger Moth aircraft for elementary flying training. At its busiest, No. 17 EFTS was training four classes of 30 students every six weeks.
No. 17 EFTS was one of the smaller BCATP schools. The station had one hangar with control tower attached and barracks to house 360 trainees and support staff. A post war aerial photo shows the barracks and hangar. A current photo shows the RCAF buildings gone and a small, active airport in use today. When built, the Stanley hangar was the largest building in Hants County Nova Scotia. It was torn down in 2005. Current aerial photo and hangar photos are from the Stanley Sport Aviation Association web site.
Stanley Nova Scotia Air Field
No. 17 EFTS Stanley Nova Scotia
Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum
Canada 150 Vignette - 003 of 150
British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Stations
No. 17 Elementary Flying Training School - Stanley Nova Scotia